Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tonight They Play for Everything!

So it all comes down to game 7 for the Red Wings and though this will be a big one, I'm already starting to feel the long summer before football season starts. Because baseball hasn't done it for me since I graduated little league. I will admit that baseball does get good when the playoffs start, but by then we already have football back on the field so it doesn't deliver for those long summer months. This must be why summer reading is a big deal.

I am pretty much a homer so even though I may love the team (the Red Wings) i do hate the league. The NHL is run by a moron and it's just been a series of bad decisions for the last 15 years or so. I've written about this before but because the Wings are in the Western Conference and the NHL's scheduling is so messed up they play in the New York area once a year even though there are three teams here, it makes no sense. And last I checked Detroit was in the Eastern time zone. And it just goes on from there. Like this franchise the league wants to keep in Phoenix instead of moving to Canada where people are ready to love the team even though the bankruptcy proceedings have made public that the team has lost $300 millon in their few miserable years in the desert.

Anyway, I digress. The game 7 tonight will be a tense one and I'm feeling a bit strange being so confident that the Wings will prevail. They have two huge things on their side: the way they have dominated at home this playoffs, losing only one game and history. A home team has not last a Game 7 since something like 1971 and that was the Canadians beating the Black Hawks. The most successful and legendary franchise in NHL history beating the most unsuccessful and unlegendary franchise. But when it all comes down to one game, it all comes down to one game. Anything can happen.

So whatever happens, happens. Of course I will be ecstatic with a victory. Let's parade the Stanley Cup around the ice (which, by the way, I just found it yesterday was a tradition created by former Red Wings #7 Ted Lindsay.) Then have a real parade through the streets of Detroit. Can't wait to watch the live webstream of that moment.

And then it's the long hot summer. I guess it will be spent jonesy and hoarding any bit of information I can get about the pathetic Lions.

And then maybe the Pistons will do something to create excitement. Because after last season, and what they will be losing in terms of Rasheed and Iverson (good riddens) being free agents and gone, and how there young players took a step back this past season, and how I am not sold on the new coach, the lights could be dim there for a while. And this NBA playoffs, it hasn't done much, the Lakers not really playing well, and yet winning, and tragic the Magic - that series is over.

A rambling Friday...Tonight will be awesome....the Lord Stanley stays in Detroit!

No comments: