Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Shooing Away the Cobwebs

With an unfortunate lull in the sports world - when my mind is forced to turn to tennis and international soccer tournaments to get me through the summer - I thought it might be a good time to do state of my thinking assessment of the Wings, Pistons, Tigers and Lions.

We'll start with the Pistons who fired their coach today. This was a necessary move as I was never going to take the Pistons seriously with Michael Curry as their coach. I'll admit much of my information on his ineptitude was second hand but it was pretty damning and the Pistons tumbled pretty far after making it to the conference championship six years in a row. I'm not sure if there is a plan in place with the Pistons - they seem be doing a lot of things as it comes, but a new coach, draft picks and some free agents should re-ignite some excitement. But still I would prefer to blow it up and start over, now that may happen anyway.

The Red Wings, after their heartbreaking game 7 loss, are in good shape. The only issues are will they have enough money to sign Marian Hossa or not and if they do who will they need to get rid of. Really, the most interesting thing about the Red Wings is they just opted out of their lease on Joe Louis Arena and could be playing in a new arena or the Palace in the next few years.

The Tigers are on a roll. Too bad I can't stand baseball. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I was such a baseball fan back in the day. But I'll get on this bandwagon soon enough, as it appears the tigers are for real with the season half over and they are still in first place.

Lastly, the Lions. Things are going to better this year, of course not saying much. I love the summer but can't wait to get to the fall and the football season. Get my bets on again.

No comments: