Friday, July 17, 2009

Summertime Sports Blues

Summer. Where the living is good and the sports are boring.

I'm just not that into the Detroit Tigers even though they are in first place after the all-star break. I'll be the last one on this bandwagon and I fully expect them to have some sort of collapse come August or early September. Although the other teams in the Central division are so atrocious that they just might hang on. And if they do, we can look forward to the top team in baseball (the Red Sox, the Yankess, the Devil Rays?) beating our brains in a five game series and then we'll be done. I know I'm fixated on the destination more than the journey, but I am a crotchety when it comes to baseball and the Tigers. How I loved it when I was a kid and now the old stadium finally torn down this year and all my baseball cards somewhere in the parent's attic and just this nostalgia that will not be satiated by the current MLB product.

Then there's the Pistons, who are a little hard to figure out. We cleared all that cap space and let our veterans move on to sign Ben Gordon and Charles Villanueva? Then word gets out that the cap number for 2010 will be around $52 million which means we have $27 million tied up in 2 shooting guards (Rip + Ben) and an undersized big man (Villa). Given that this cap space was the reason for blowing the team up mid-season last year, the reality did not live up to this fan's expectations. The NBA should be more exciting next year for a few of the top teams that added talent but the Pistons will not be one of these teams but a work in progress. They may make the playoffs only because they just have a lot of bad pro basketball teams in the NBA Eastern Conference.

And can't help myself but looking forward to the Lions breaking camp later this month. Will the Lion's start a rookie quarterback? Will their defense be able to stop anybody? It will be exciting to win a game or two this year.

No comments: